- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ pound of top round sirloin, diced
- Salt to season
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ large white onion, diced
- 1 green or red bell pepper, diced
- 2 14.5 oz cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes
- Water as needed
- Heat oil (or lard) in a deep skillet, at medium-high. Season the meat with salt and add to skillet.
- While the meat is cooking, mix the garlic, pepper, and cumin in a small bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of water to the mixture to form a paste. Add it to the steak and stir.
- Cook for 5 more minutes and lower the heat and place the lid to simmer.
- Cook the meat for about 15 minutes and before all the liquid cooks out, add onion, pepper, and jalapeno, cooking for 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, stir to combine and cover, simmering for 10-15 minutes.
- Check the meat, looking for fork tender.
- Season with salt a few minutes before it finishes cooking. Serve warm and optionally top with avocado.
Makes 6 Servings
Nutritional Info: 150 Calories, 13g fat, 16g protein, 4g carbs