- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 (28 oz) cans peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- ¼ cup half and half
- 8 large fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a soup pot (or dutch oven), heat oil over medium-high heat and add garlic, cooking for 30 seconds. Add onions and cook until translucent. ABout 5-7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chicken stock, and sugar, to a low simmer. Cook uncovered for 12-15 minutes to let the mixture reduce and thicken.
- Add half and half, basil, oregano and season with salt and pepper.
- Once thickened, puree either half the soup and then put back into the pot. OR puree all of it if you prefer smooth.